The Bat City Open 2018
Buffalo Billiards and the Bat City Pinball Club are pleased to present the Bat City Open III pinball tournament! The Bat City Open will be held on June 22th-24th on the second floor of Buffalo Billiards.
The Bat City Open III
Calling pinball players of all skill levels! Join us in the heart of historic downtown Austin, TX for this year’s Bat City Open pinball tournament from June 22-24. We’ve listened to the players, and have redesigned the tournaments to feature two group match play events instead of unlimited “pump and dump” qualifying.
The first will be an optional group progressive strikes Knockout event on Friday evening. The main tourney will feature a full day of Pinburgh-style single-game rounds on Saturday, which means you’ll be matched up against players who are playing at a similar level as the tourney progresses. This will be followed by PAPA-style finals on Sunday for A division, B division, and Novice division. Players will compete for trophies, cash prizes, pride, glory, and IFPA WPPR points.
One-time fixed entry fee: $60
– Tourney entry for both tourneys
– Access to all tourney pins on Free Play. No coin drop required.
Stern Army swag door prizes for non-finalists!
Traveling to Austin
Buffalo Billiards is located in the heart of Austin’s historic 6th street, surrounded by an array of bars and restaurants. Buffalo Billiards itself will have a full bar and restaurant available to players for the entire duration of the tournament.
There are plenty of options for lodging within walking distance of Buffalo Billiards.
Here are some links for hotels near us:
Main Tournament Overview
We will be streaming live: https://www.twitch.tv/batcitypinballclub
Custom trophies provided by Double Danger Pinball http://www.ddpinball.com/
Knockout Tourney Format (IFPA sanctioned):
– Friday, June 22, at 7pm. Check-in by 6:30.
– Progressive strikes group knockout tourney in 4-player groups. # of strikes dependent on # of players that choose to participate. Estimated to wrap up for the last players standing around midnight.
– Zero strikes for 1st place, one strike for 2nd place, two strikes for 3rd, and three strikes for 4th in each game.
– Accelerated strikes will be used when down to two players
– Players may also use this time to practice play on tourney pins.
Main Tourney Format:
– Qualifying match play rounds: Saturday, June 23, at 10am. Check-in by 9:30am. Doors at 9am.
– IFPA scoring: 7-5-3-1. (7-4-1 for 3-players groups)
– 14 rounds of single games. Re-seeding after every game.
– Pinburgh style seeding each successive round: Tiered Swiss
Main Tourney Planned Schedule:
– 10am – 1pm: Rounds 1-4
– 1pm – 2pm: Lunch break (Round 5 will begin 1 hour after Round 4 concludes)
– 2pm – 7:30pm: Rounds 5-12
– 7:30 – 8:30pm: Dinner break (Round 13 will begin 1 hour after Round 12 concludes)
– 8:30 – 10pm: Rounds 13-14
– 10pm: Tiebreakers, if necessary
Main Tourney Finals:
– Sunday 10am (check in at 9:30 am. Doors at 9am)
o A Div: 16 finalists
o B Div: 8 finalists, restricted to players ranked no better than 501 in IFPA world rankings as of 6/15/18
o Novice Div: 4 finalists, restricted to players ranked no better than 3,001 in IFPA world rankings as of 6/15/18
– PAPA-style finals, with the restriction that each player may not select the same pin more than once throughout the entirety of the finals (all rounds).
o B Division picks after A Division, and Novice picks after B Division, with the restriction that pins that are being played during that segment on the round may not be selected by any other group, regardless of division.
Prize structure will be available upon request during the event.
Registration is now closed